Briefly: all you need to know for visiting Azerbaijan
Do you need a visa, what documents are required? This section contains information that may be useful for a quick and easy guide in Azerbaijan.
Visa regulations in Azerbaijan
Further is given only awareness-raising information, for more details you may enter the official website of Ministry of Foreign Affairs www.mfa.gov.az
Arrival in Azerbaijan for the citizens of Georgia and the CIS countries (except Turkmenistan and Armenia) is carried out without visa.
The duration of temporary staying in the country by foreigners and stateless persons is determined by the period of stay in the country specified in the visa. The duration of temporary stay in the country by foreigners and stateless persons who arrived on a visa-free basis, shall not exceed ninety (90) days. Foreigners and stateless persons who wish to live in Azerbaijan for more than thirty (30) days, shall, within 3 (three) days (excluding weekends and holidays) to apply to the relevant authorities of the Ministry of Internal Affairs for the registration of residence (www.mia.gov.az).
In order to extend the period of temporary stay of foreigners and stateless persons (arriving on the visa or visa-free basis) may apply to the State Migration Service, not later than seven working days before the expiry of the period of stay in Azerbaijan (www.migration.gov.az).
Documents for obtaining visa
Further is given only awareness-raising information (source - official website of Baku Tourist Information Centre www.bakutourism.az).
Foreign nationals to obtain a visa should contact the diplomatic and consular missions of the Republic of Azerbaijan and to provide the following documents:
- Application (form you will be given at the Embassy)
- 2 photos (3x4 cm, on a white background)
- A copy of the passport and identity card for stateless persons.
- The invitation letter from the responsible person (two copies)
- Receipt on duty payment (cost of visa and consular fees)
Only citizens of Israel and Turkey can get a visa at the visa departments of the Heydar Aliyev International Airport, in Ganja and Nakhchivan Autonomous Republic.
Warning: in case of less than 3 months to expiration date of the passport or identity card, the visa will not be issued.
Also, in a short time there will be realized a transition to an electronic system in Azerbaijan for issuing visas, making it easier for foreigners and stateless persons to enter the country: they do not have to come to the embassy and consulate, wait in queues. Forms of electronic forms and all the necessary information on the visa will be provided at web sites of the embassies and consulates of Azerbaijan.
Visa fee depends on the cost of the visa defined by the Azerbaijani embassy in your country. For more information, contact the embassy or consulate of the Republic of Azerbaijan located in your country.
Deadline for issuing
Further is given only awareness-raising information, for more details enter the official website of the State Customs Committee of Azerbaijan www.customs.gov.az
The import of foreign currency is unlimited. Declaration is required.
Export - within the amount specified in the declaration.
Import and export of local currency is allowed only to citizens of Azerbaijan.
- import of up to 1 000 cigarettes or 1 kg of tobacco products ( persons more than 16 years);
- up to 1.5 liters of alcohol and 2 liters of wine;
- perfume for personal use;
- other items amounting to $ 10,000;
- exporting personal items, handicrafts and products officially acquired in Azerbaijan.
- import and export of arms and ammunition;
- drugs and narcotic drugs;
- importing photos and printed materials that can be considered as being directed against the constitutional order of Azerbaijan;
- fresh fruits and vegetables;
- exporting antiques (including precious stones, carpets, coins, manuscripts, etc.) without the permission of the Ministry of Culture and Tourism of Azerbaijan. Handicrafts produced before 1960 are considered antiques and their exportation is prohibited. Customs declaration filled when entering the country, should be kept up to the moment of departure.
Electronic Tourist Visas
Starting from March 15, 2013 new procedure of tourist e-visa system has been implementing in Azerbaijan to provide the execution of the Decree of the President of the Republic of Azerbaijan dated November 20, 2012 ”On the facilitation of visa procedures for foreigners and stateless persons, travelling to the Republic of Azerbaijan”.
With an aim to attract more tourists from all over the world, this new system is designed to transfer all visa applications to the electronic context. Hereby, visitors need to provide all necessary documents to one of the national travel companies mentioned below or their partners abroad. After the relevant documents are prepared the national travel companies apply to the Ministry of Foreign Affairs for e-visa. When confirmed by MFA, e-visa is forwarded to visitors in electronic format. Henceforth, visitors just need to print out the e-visa and are free to visit the country via any modes of entry (by air, on land, by sea etc.)
To obtain e-visa visitors only need to contact Azerbaijani travel companies or their partners abroad. E-visas are single-entry and are valid for a maximum duration of 30 days. The price for e-visa is 20 US dollars.
Currently, 70 main travel companies operating in the country are authorized to apply for e-visas to foreign tourists. To find the list of these travel companies click here.